Broad Function: The Purchasing Agent verifies purchasing requisitions by comparing items requested by departments to approved items list, clarifying unclear details, and recommending alternatives. Compiles information and records to forwards corrected requisitions to Finance for preparation of purchase orders for the acquisition of goods, services, and general purchases authorized by the Departmental Directors. Works closely with the Finance department to make sure payments to vendors are made on time. Maintains and updates purchasing records, forms, vendor lists, and contracts. Custodian of university credit cards for purchases and travel arrangements.
Assists the Campuses and Institutional Programs as delineated by the duties listed below. The Institutional Purchasing Agent executes the processing of purchases and ensures the best utilization of available resources and negotiations. The Purchasing Agent has the authority to return orders that are not made according to the purchasing guidelines. The incumbent reports to the Executive Director of the Presidency Office.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree preferred, with at least five (5) years’ experience in purchasing, ordering, and processing goods and services requisitions or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Ability to negotiate best vendor terms, pricing, and delivery based on a specific budget and schedule requirements.
3. Strong numerical, detail, and organizational skills.
4. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, percentages, and costs.
5. Ability to define and prevent supplies ordering and distribution problems, review, and process purchase orders in a timely fashion.
6. Capable of following up and implementing new procedures, if necessary, to improve and expedite the purchasing process.
7. Thorough working knowledge of purchasing policies, processes, and procedures.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual in English and Spanish.
9. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
10. Proficient in Excel, Microsoft Word, and other software.
Publication date: March 9, 2020
Deadline to request: March 13,2020
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY