Professional Tutor – Writing Center Position Description
Position Title: Professional Tutor – Writing Center
Supervisor: Director of Student Success Programs
Status: Hourly contract
Salary: $18.00 per hour
Hours: During University hours Monday-Saturday and schedules are assigned according to student demand, tutor availability, seniority, and task complexity. Employment as a professional tutor does not guarantee a minimum number of work hours; however, the desired position is for 10-15 hours per week.
Under the supervision of the Director of Student Success Programs, the Professional Tutor for the Writing Center provides individualized tutoring services on-campus to Albizu University students and alumni focused on professional writing. Sessions can be administered in-person or virtually, both scheduled and walk-ins, and will emphasize professional and scientific writing in the fields of psychology, education, human services, and speech and language pathology. A majority of sessions will assist current students with written assignments, such as papers and dissertations. The purpose of this role is to provide Albizu University students and alumni with writing assistance to improve their overall writing abilities.
- Conducts individualized professional writing tutoring sessions.
- Participates in all training and evaluation sessions.
- Meets with the Director of Student Success Programs monthly to discuss issues, questions, and advancements.
- Utilizes all software programs, including Outlook and TutorTrac, for scheduling and documentation purposes.
- Creates and participates in the development of writing workshops and sessions.
- Represents University at community and campus events when possible.
- Maintains data integrity and confidentiality.
- Conducts themselves in a polite and professional manner.
- Obtains suggested certifications and adheres to protocols pertaining to FERPA and ADA standards.
- Ensures compliance with university policies and procedures and professional association guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Must be able to see details at close range – within a few feet of the observer.
- Master’s degree (Doctoral degree preferred). The ideal candidate will have experience teaching English or professional writing or will have extensive knowledge of scientific writing.
- Sensitive to a diverse population of students.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (English/Spanish bilingual preferred).
- Responsible, dependable, honest, and mature.
Application and Hiring Process
- Submit your resume or CV to email@example.com
- If you meet the requirements, the Director of Student Success will contact you to schedule an interview.
- Upon job offer and acceptance, complete Human Resources required paperwork before starting position.